Top 10 Questions to Ask a Junk Removal Company BEFORE Hiring
Before hiring a company to remove and dispose of your unwanted items, interview them. You need to know if the company you are allowing onto your property knows what they are doing, if the company is licensed, has insurance, and does not illegally dump.
You don’t need to worry if they get injured while moving your old couch or who is going to pay for the damages caused when backing up the truck.
What Questions Should You Ask BEFORE Hiring A Junk Removal Specialist?
If the company you are calling cannot answer these top 10 questions without hesitation, they are not professionals. Avoid them like the plague.
- Are you licensed and insured?
- How do I know you are on your way to my property?
- Do you have a website/business card?
- What’s your recycling and donation policy?
- What’s included in your pricing?
- What type of junk do you remove?
- How long will it take to get the job done?
- What safety precautions do you take?
- How long has the company been in business?
- If I look at your Google reviews, what will they say?
Question #1 – Are you licensed and insured?
Per California law, a junk removal company is required to have their license on them when working and must show it upon request. They must also show proof of insurance upon request. All professional junk removal companies carry workman’s compensation in addition to general liability. Please note that licensing and insurance requirements vary by state and county. Some areas require special licensing.
What do these insurance policies cover?
- Damage the company may cause during the process.
- If an employee gets hurt while on your property
What if the junk removal company does not have insurance?
Per your homeowner’s or business property policy, you are responsible for all damages and injuries that occur on your property. You are also required to use only licensed professionals to do work on the property.
Suppose a person gets hurt while lifting that old heavy broken washing machine. You are responsible for paying for all of the medical bills, the lost wages, pain, suffering, and whatever else the injured party can think to claim.
Most insurance policies cover these.
Once these claims are settled, your insurance company will do one of two things:
- Cancel your policy for violating the terms of service (hiring an unlicensed company to do work for you)
- Triple your rates.
If your policy gets canceled, your insurance company shares this violation of terms with other insurance companies. This results in your new insurance company charging you higher rates – if they accept you.
Question #2 – How do I know you are on your way to my property?
When a professional junk removal company earns your project, here is what you should expect:
- A call, text, or email at least 30 minutes before your appointment time to let you know the company is on its way.
- The company employees show up in uniform.
- Ask for you by name
- Have the equipment to do the job with them. Standard equipment includes tools and personal protective gear like gloves, hats, masks, a first aid kit, and water.
- Have the service agreement or work order ready to go with all fees listed clearly.
Question #3 – Do you have a website/business card?
The care and effort devoted to a company’s website, blogs, and business cards are good indicators of the quality and care the company will put into your project. It shows the company cares about its image, is here to stay, and wants to put its best foot forward to impress you.
Here is a quick list of what to look for:
- Website – Is the website professionally designed?
- Blogs – Are the blogs?
- Professionally written?
- Published at regular intervals?
- Relevant – Do they provide answers to your questions?
- Logo – Their logo is industry appropriate and professionally designed
- Business Cards – Business cards are on quality paper and professionally designed
- Email Address – Email address has the company name after the @ symbol like email@example.com. Any business email address that ends with “@gmail.com,” “@yahoo.com” or “@hotmail.com” is not a professional outfit and maybe a scam.
Question #4 – What’s your recycling and donation policy?
The industry best practice is to sort out as much as possible to protect the environment and extend the life of our landfills. Here includes:
- Sorting – The removed items get sorted into donations, recyclables, trash, and specialty disposals if local law allows.
- Donating – If it can be donated to help a favorite local charity, professionals do it. Each professional company has a list of their favorite cause like Habitat for Humanity, the local women’s shelter, the Salvation Army, and a whole host of local charities.
- Recycling – Junk Removal Companies do not specialize in scrapping but support local recycling efforts where possible.
Spartan Junk Removal frequently partners with local charities to offer free junk removal for those in need. It is part of their commitment to keeping the greater Stockton, Modesto, Gold Country, and Sonora areas beautiful.
Question #5 – What’s included in your pricing?
Professional junk removal companies list out all of the fees that make up the prices. Typically this includes:
- Dump fees
- Specialty services as agreed
However, if your project is more extensive than just a truck and trailer haul, don’t forget to ask about dumpster rental fees.
Remember, people get what they pay for, and suspiciously low prices indicate the caliber of service you should expect.
Question #6 – What type of junk do you remove?
Every state and county has limitations on what can be removed by general junk removal specialists and what is considered hazardous materials.
Professional junk removal companies have a website page dedicated to what they can and cannot take in your area. Check out their dedicated page to see if they are a good fit for what you want to be removed.
If you don’t see your item or items, still give them a call. Usually, they can steer you in the right direction.
Question #7 – How long will it take to get the job done?
Junk haulers understand that you are busy – or you wouldn’t be calling them.
When asking for a time estimate, don’t forget to ask who pays if the job takes longer than initially estimated? You don’t want to pay for a rookie’s estimating mistake.
Question #8 – What safety precautions do you take?
Safety for the company employees and clients should be at the top of concerns for all companies.
Reputable junk removal companies will have all of the following in place and more:
- Do rigorous criminal backgrounds checks & routine drug testing
- First Aid kits and water on every truck
- Personal Protection equipment for each employee
- Protective eyewear
- Face coverings, where applicable
- Heat exhaustion prevention materials
Question #9 – How long has the company been in business?
This question helps to weed out the “seasonal junker” from the professionals. A professional will take the time to listen to your concerns and build a rapport with you.
You are the best to give feedback or let the company know if an employee is less than professional.
Question #10 – If I look at your Google reviews, what will they say?
Don’t be afraid to ask tough questions. Find out the experience of previous customers both good and bad. If you see a negative review, but you still want to work with the company, ask them what they did to fix this going forward.
Hiring a reputable junk removal company shouldn’t be a chore. Being prepared is the easiest way to make the whole experience easy, painless, and hassle-free.
If you are in Modesto, Stockton, Elk Grove, Livermore, Lodi, Sonora, Merced, or Jackson, California, please give us a call. We would be happy to show you want a professional experience should be.
Give us a call at (209) 872-0323